Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Emus

At the end of January our friends, the Baileys, called to let us know some of the emu chicks had hatched.  the only other time the girls and I had been to their house it was dark so we hadn't even seen the grown emus yet.  The girls were very excited to go see them.  Mina also has a fondness for Sam and she loves going just to see "Sammy."  We got there and Sam took us into their pen.  The emu with the chicks stayed far from us, but we were able to get pretty close to the others.  Mina enjoyed feeding them pieces of grass.  They are very interesting creatures and it was a lot of fun being near them.  There was another emu still laying on some eggs that hadn't hatched yet.  Sam took us up pretty close to him and even let Mina pet him.  I squatted to take some pictures, but when the emu started getting up I started walking away and that's when he decided to kick me.  Luckily, he didn't get me right on, but ended up skimming down the side of my leg.  It left a nice long bruise all the way down my leg from my upper thigh to my mid calf.  And after we left the pen Sam proceeded to tell me that he could have easily broken my leg and that out of the 20 plus years they've had the emus, they have never attacked anyone.  Haha.  I don't know why I was so special.














No comments:

Post a Comment